"Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself."

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

GMAT done..oh! not yet..

I messed up my date with gmat on the d/g-day. Scored in 600's. I failed to finish both quant and verbal in time. (can't get any worse!)
My experience in detail
I brushed up all my flashcards on the day before gmat and completed everything before noon. Watched a movie and in the evening i went for a swim just to cool my nerves. My appointment is in the afternoon. I went to the gmat center armed with chocolates, bananas and fruit juice. I reached there one hour before the scheduled time. The friendly receptionist there asked me for passport and took my finger print. I was given a locker to put my belongings including watch and wallet. There was a seperate room where i can put my eatables. Now she said that i can go ahead and take the exam. I didnt know that i can take the exam before the scheduled time. I even brought reader's digest with me to kill some time in the test center. They even provide a piece of paper to write down the five school names. I don't need this since i know the school names by heart.

Everything in the gmat is exactly similar to what we saw in gmatprep. The good old blue screen. It really relieved me of some tension. Before starting the exam we have to enter all five school names. Soon i started with AWA. I practiced to write only one arguement and issue before the exam. Even then it didnt troubled me. I thought for a while and started typing according to my own template. Finished in 28 minutes. It is the same with issue. Very easy topic. Finished this in 25 minutes. But i didn't click on next. Just waited for the clock to show 29 minutes. I used this time to adjust myself and prepare mentally for the quant.

I opted for 10 minutes break. But i returned after 5 minutes. Math section started with an easy question. I felt the level of difficult is quite equivalent to gmatprep questions. In total i had to guess three questions. i tried to solve them for 3-4 minutes, but couldn't arrive at the answer. I knew that if i spent more time on them i could solve. But i followed the sages advice. clicked some answer which i thought is an intelligent guess and moved on. Among these three questions. One is from probability. I encountered only one question from probability and nothing from permutations and combinations. And the rest two are from geometry. As i spent more time on these i was left with only 4 minutes for the last 4 questions. Fortunately i got all easy questions. May be it is because i committed some error in the previous question. I solved the last question but didn't click on next. I was doing a double-check on my answer in those last seconds. Suddenly time-expired message popped up. Even then, I thought, i did well.

Again opted for 10 minutes break. Had some juice and came back in 6 minutes. We have to give our finger prints while coming and leaving the exam hall. Started verbal with SC. Then CR, then SC and finally my 7th question is an RC. I got 4 RC's. 3 smaller ones and one big one (jumbo). two RC's are easy. The bigger one took lot of time. and the last one which is smaller looks easy when i read the passage but the questions are real tricky. I wanted to spend more time on the first 15 questions and speedup on the last ones. This created some problems to me as i didnt pace the test well. For the last 15 questions i was left with only 15 minutes. I got little panicked. Did some breathing exercise and resumed the final quater hour of the battle. Adding to my woes i got RC. For the last 4 questions i was left with 1 minute. i randomly clicked answers for three questions. So final question and the last 30 seconds. It was SC. Pretty easy one. I clicked on C. but still looking at other options. Out of no where a message popped up saying time-expired. This means i failed to finish Verbal in/on time.

Being an optimist, i patiently gone through all the eight screens answering some of the questions. The moment has arrived for which i am waiting for the last couple of months. When the score came, It was in 600's. Not at all what i expected. I was utterly disappointed at that very moment, nevertheless managed to put a smiling face to the receptionist who gave a printed copy of my scoresheet. I looked at it for few minutes waiting for 6 to become 7. Apparently it didnt happen. I came back to my place and spent some excruciating hopeless moments. I even thought that i should put my mba plans on the back burner and continue with my present job. Such is the pain when we get a score that we didnt desire for. I prepared decently for the exam. Got scores of 700+ in practice tests. But in the final exam i faltered.

Evidently, I can't live with my present score and i need to retake. But for now i will take a break for couple of weeks from gmat preparation.I want to congratulate all those who scored 700+ in their first take for their competence and genius. But i want to salute those who took gmat for the second time and achieved their desired score. It needs guts to accept the reality and move on. It really needs lots of energy and enthusiasm to go through the whole process again.
More thoughts in my next post.

All the best for Preet and Curlybee.

11 comments:

matt said...

I may be the only one to say this, but...CONGRATS on a good score. :) Knowing some of the horror stories from first-timers, a 600-level score is nothing to be ashamed at.

I thought seriously about retaking with a high 600's score but got into two top ten schools...it's all about how you spin it, man...best of luck.

kpmg said...

hey

don't worry so much about it. if you're hitting 700s on your practice tests, you definitely have the potential to hit 700+ on the real thing. take a break (anyway you're only allowed to take the GMAT once every 30 days) and retake the test if you feel you can do much better. I'm taking the GMAT again, I hit 650 the first time.

the being said...

I can understand its a bummer when you score lower than the practice tests. im sorry about your bad experience. But let me tell you, if your score is above 650, i wudn't worry about retaiking it. like m@ says, its about the whole package you project.

But if u do want to take it again, its very important to give yourself a break :-)

RunningTurtle said...

m@
Thanks. Thatz nice to hear. Just to console me, One of my friend pointed that my score is in the Gmat range of accepted students which is 5209-790.

@Wannabe
I am definately taking gmat again. I follow your advice. Right now its break time and time for some retrospection.

@Sudha
Yeah.. a good score or desired score motivates to move further.I will take again. thanks.

Deepthroat said...

Thanxs a lot dude.....surely need all the luck i can muster.....

Thanxs a lot again...Lets c how it goes....

When are u retaking it??

e.catharsis said...

A score in the 600s may actually be a blessing in disguise. You have enough time to retake the test, and that alone shows determination, regardless of how you score the second time around. So good luck-- and congratulations!

Deepthroat said...

15 in 15??? Dude....I can understand what you must have gone thru. I panicked with 8 in 12 min and even then I had to guess the last one.

When are u planning to take it again

Forrest Gump said...

thanks for visiting my blog, and i am glad you found the post valuable.

good luck with the gmat thing. the one thing i took away out of the gmat game was that one excels through practice, so just keep going. the 700+ score is yours to have.

Unknown said...

thank you so much! I'm sure with all your efforts, it'll paid off, you'll get the score you want!
if you decided to retake, I'm really sure that you'll do great :-)

Charu said...

runningturtle,
You have a great spirit..Best of Luck for the next time around...:)

i was in the same boat as you..i could manage to boost my score from 640 --> 710 ..you can do it too..

Deepthroat said...

Thanxs a lot for the wishes dude....